Monday, May 10, 2010

It's all about the name

Ever wonder what your life would be like if you were named Rumplestiltskin (left)... or Clyde or Mervin or Mayviss? Me neither. Probably no different unless your last name was Butts or Badcock, Gaye or Holl (all real)... which probably made growing up difficult. Or if your last name was White and mom named you Snow. All kinds of those things really happen.

I know a guy named Al Ng... which is the shortest name on my list.  Longest name though probably goes to a German immigrant whose passport actually read:
(First and "middle" names)
Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert 
Irvin John Kenneth Loyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy 
Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor Willian Xerxes Yancy 
Zeus

(Last name)
Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorffvoralternwarengewissenhaf
tschaferswesenchafewarenwholgepflegeundsorgfaltigkeitbeschut
zenvonangereifenduchihrraubgiriigfeindewelchevorralternzwolf
tausendjahresvorandieerscheinenbanderersteerdeemmeshedrraums
chiffgebrauchlichtalsseinursprungvonkraftgestartseinlangefah
rthinzwischensternartigraumaufdersuchenachdiesternwelshegeha
btbewohnbarplanetenkreisedrehensichundwohinderneurassevanver
standigmenshlichkeittkonntevortpflanzenundsicherfreunanleben
slamdlichfreudeundruhemitnichteinfurchtvorangreifenvonandere
rintlligentgeschopfsvonhinzwischensternartigraum

Senior

He called himself Hubert Wolfe... probably Hubie to friends. He signed his name Hubert Blaine Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff, Sr. In case you didn't notice, he has one given name for every letter of the alphabet plus his surname.  (This info comes from the interesting website, Everything2.com ) Do I believe everything I see in print and on the internet... absolutely!

Had a friend once who was oddly named. I never thought anything of it until one day, I had to ask a telephone operator (remember those?) for his phone number. " Frosty Craighead, please... " I listened to her laugh convulsively for 30 seconds before she could respond, then I had to convince her it wasn't a joke.

So what do you do when you are saddled with something awful to your ear? You change it, right? That's why this British chap caught my attention. He is now officially known as:

'Captain Fantastic Faster Than Superman Spider-man Batman Wolverine Hulk And Flash Combined'

I don't know what he changed it from but suspect it was something like Alfred Meeks. All I know is that after the name change, I wouldn't want to mess with him... not because he might be too tough (which is possible) but because he must be crazy... and If you read this sir, I'm just kidding. I really like what you've done with your name... it has a definite 'ring' to it... and your costume is absolutely Fab!

Maybe this is what he had in mind:

So when the cat has got your tongue
There's no need for dismay
Just summon up this word
And then you've got a lot to say
But better use it carefully
Or it could change your life
One night I said it to my girl
And now my girl's my wife!


In which case, I say "Bully." I hope you and  Mrs Captain Fantastic Faster Than Superman Spider-man Batman Wolverine Hulk And Flash Combined nee Ms Superwoman Prettier Than Avenging Angel Batgirl Wonder Woman Vampirella And Alice In Wonderland Combined have a wonderful life and are blessed with many superchildren named Art, Jane, Mary, Joe, Bill and Jesse.

No comments:

Post a Comment