Wednesday, January 2, 2013

THE GLASS HALF FULL: Charging into '13 with a puppy or baby kitten... how cute would that be?


The  Chinese  New  Year  begins  Feb.  10...  it  is  the  Year   of  the  Snake.  Now  I  am  about  as  open  as  anyone  to  almost  everything...  but  really,  with  the  year  of  the  horse,   sheep,  monkey,  rooster,  dog,  pig,  rat,  ox,  tiger  and  drag-­ on,  but  with  due  respect,  couldn’t  we  have  puppies  or   baby  kittens?  How  cute  would  that  be? 

-->
My mom died about this time last year. She was 98, in a skilled care nursing facility. She was a content person who lived in the moment. Not yesterday. Not tomorrow. Just now. She had no future dreams, past regrets or aspirations. She was frail of body, slower of mind, harder of hearing and less talkative. But she always knew family and friends, she smiled, got a joke, waved at passers-by... and if ever confronted with a trouble or problem, she quickly dismissed it with her personal credo: “Into each life, a little rain must fall.”

Do you have to be 98 to leave your troubles behind? Most of us live with yesterday’s thoughts and experiences, today’s angst and tomorrow’s hopes and fears. So here we are again at a recurring break point in life.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I never make New Year resolutions... at least, not until now. But for some reason, this year it feels appropriate. Therefore, I have decided:

TO LOVE MORE!

I love being old(er) because that’s what happens... and if it doesn’t, then forget about it.
 I love being well... a blessing... a gift.
 I love being loved... by my wife, my children and my grandchildren, sibs and my 98-year-old mother, too.

I love to smile, and be smiled at.
 I love the blessing of food on the table, water to drink and a roof over my head. So many can’t say that.

I love dogs that love me more.
 I love friends and neighbors. 
I love happy endings that make me cry. 
I love book stores... newspapers... and great conversation.

TO DO MORE!

I will read more.
 I will write more. 
I will think more. 
I will smile more... and return every smile.
 I will be richer (in spirit, which I can control). I will care more for those who need more care. I will win Jeopardy in my mind.

I will work crossword puzzles more completely. I will take the high road.

TO DRINK MORE FROM THE GLASS HALF FULL!

I will count my blessings.
 I will give thanks. 
I will strive to see the other viewpoint. I will broaden my perspective. 
I will look for the silver lining. 
I will hope.

How will I do? At least, so-so, I’m sure. More important... how about your list? This is the time for aspiration... perhaps the best time all year. Human frailty being what it is, we are less than perfect, but to aspire to be a better you... have a better year... is the positive start that leads to better response. We don’t control this crazy world... but we shouldn’t dare loose control of ourselves. I vote we call our current best chance for good...

2013: THE YEAR OF THE SMILE... THE YEAR OF THE GOLDEN RULE.
Now being human, we will fail our share of the time. But in the process, we will learn and be better for it. Buddha said what many others have said over the eons: "The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows." GO FOR IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment