Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Yoga... not Berra or Yoda, but Yoga, as in Tibet. *Namaste.

Tibetan singing bowl



So I'm recently into Yoga... and what took me so long? No, I do not expect to ever be lythe and smooth, I just don't bend in all those places, but I am finding a peaceful place to gently get the most out of my aging body and feel richer in doing so.

A Tibetan singing bowl sets the tone as it vibrates when struck or 'sounded' to produce a rich, bright, clear lasting tone. The soothing sound is said to promote healing relaxation and offer powerful healing properties. And if your mind is open, it does.

Singing bowls are used for many purposes including stress reduction and pain relief, harmonizing the cells and balancing the body's energy system... one way to say "Slow down, there is something good happening here." 

And, if you are so inclined to let it happen, a deep physical ease passes through your body as you inhale deeply through your nose and s-l-o-w-l-y exhale through your mouth, letting your shoulders sink as if a balloon inside you first expands and slowly deflates. It does induce a deep sense of relaxation and a clear headedness that takes you to a new contemplative level.

My daughter suggested, that as I sit in my car before I turn the key in the ignition, I stop and complete one or more deep breaths... slowly inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth. It is the perfect way to set your mood for one of our greatest regular stress events, driving. I highly recommend you try it and see for yourself what an extra 45 seconds or so can do for your inner self.

And as you finish your yoga session, you lie on your mat and totally relax your mind and body for a contemplated few minutes before the teacher bids you "Namaste." And you responding in kind

*Namaste literally means "I bow to the divine in you," a sign of peace spoken with a slight bow, hands pressed together, palms touching and fingers pointing upwards, thumbs close to the chest. It is a Sanskrit phrase of respect, typically used at the end of a yoga session by your teacher to say 'Goodbye." 




May I suggest Dan Harris' book Ten Percent Happier, a terrific intro to your inner world, the well-told hows and whys of mindfulness based on his disbelieving investigation as a newsman to a confirmed advocate who proved it works big time for him.





3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article Jerry! So glad you & Kathy found yoga.

    ReplyDelete