Have a look at 858 of tomorrow's leaders. There are more than 40,000 high schools in the United States that graduated students this year. This is a Texas school shown in the selfie taken by its Valedictorian.
There are those who break new grounds in ways never before imagined... and those who will enjoy happy, productive lives. High school graduates are a fairly healthy cross-section of us... and across the country, the abundance of hope rides high.
All are given life advice on how to do it right. The best seems to be simple and pure. Here are a few favorites:
- "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who’ll decide where to go." - Dr. Seuss
- "We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better.” - JK Rowling
- "Now go, and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here. Make good art." - Neil Gaiman
- "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt
- "If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito." -Bette Reese
- "Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there. " -Will Rogers
"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you too may one day be president of the United States." - George W. Bush
But most important, you matter:
"If you think that no one knows you are alive, try missing a couple of payments." Earl Wilson
You count big-time, graduates. It's your turn. Please take care of us... and your children too.